In the last 20 years, golf club technology has improved by leaps and bounds. Specific clubs for higher handicap players currently provide sufficient assistance, so you can shoot lower scores and take your game to the next level.
Typically, the best golf irons for high handicappers are much more forgiving, which means that you aren’t as severely penalized for mis-hits. Regardless of the club you’re using, there’s an increased margin for error, which you need as a high handicapper since you still need to work on the consistency of your strike pattern.
Slice-correcting technology is also commonly found at the heart of the clubs’ design, which is beneficial if you struggle with a left-to-right shot shape.
Taking all of these characteristics into account, we’ve looked at some of the best irons for high handicappers in 2022:
6 Best Irons for High Handicappers
Mizuno 2018 MP-18 MMC Fli Hi Iron
- Has a hollow body. Makes for a long iron replacement
- Equipped with a KBS C-Taper Lite stiff shaft
- Comes in satin nickel, non-glare, chrome finish
- Allows for a high and easy launch due to its deep and very low CoG, thanks to optimized weighting
We never imagined that an iron as elegant-looking as the MMC could deliver the same levels of forgiveness as the deep cavity back Ping Eye 2 iron from the ’80s. However, we believe you’ll need to be a fairly good ball striker to get the most out of this iron due to its narrow sole width.
Out on the course, the MMC irons recorded a carry distance equivalent to two yards short of our longest with 2.5 forgiveness-rated irons. This figure indicates that they can’t be overlooked when it comes to power. There’s a noticeable improvement in playability compared to the MP-18 SC, putting the MMC’s forgiveness on par with the TaylorMade P790. We say these irons are suitable for up to a 10-12 handicapper.
|Elegant-looking club||Some may find the shaft to be too stiff|
|Allows soft and crips impact iron shots||Loft options available can lead to distance gapping issues, especially if the rest of your clubs have traditional lofts|
|Enables you to achieve consistent trajectory|
|Provides outstanding value relative to its price tag|
2020 Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons
- Thinner HT1770M steel insert provides increased speeds across the face
- Progressive shaping makes it easier to reach distant pins
- HiBore Crown’s inverted shape helps move mass down and the CoG deep into the base of the iron, producing shots that stay on target and are satisfyingly high
- Hollow construction delivers unbeatable forgiveness. Turbocharged face makes them faster than ever
The Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons are manufactured by one of the finest golf iron brands and are specifically designed with the needs of novices who want to improve their game in mind. Despite being constructed for beginners, it doesn’t mean these irons aren’t packed with advanced features. They feature a completely hollow construction with internal ribs and an oversized head, making them more forgiving. Since there’s a larger contact area, you’re less likely to miss the ball on those shot attempts.
In my opinion, the HB Irons are best-suited for high handicappers with slower swing speeds. Nonetheless, I will recommend them to anyone who has difficulty hitting their long irons. Although they come with a hefty price tag, I believe the corresponding benefits far outweigh the costs.
|Allows for excellent ball flight and trajectory||Makes a noticeably loud swing noise|
|Impressively forgiving club that’s fairly easy to hit||Can be inconvenient to carry around compared with other irons|
|Comes in a matte-black finish that’ll make you stand out on the course|
Callaway Golf Men’s Strata Complete Set
- Large cavity-backed irons feature a large sweet spot, and perimeter weighting helps ensure your shots are on target.
- Comes with a low-profile hybrid that serves as a nice companion if you’re looking to grow into your game off the tee box
- Comes with a large 460cc driver with a titanium clubhead and a huge sweet spot for maximum forgiveness.
As a high-handicapper, a complete golf set that’s good to go, straight from the box, is immensely advantageous. It eliminates the need for you to spend any time looking out for individual golf clubs. These sets usually cover everything you need to start your golfing journey at once.
The Callaway Strata Golf Set comes with three woods, four irons, a wedge, and a putter. This complete outfit ensures that you have every tool you might require to finish a round. Given that it isn’t as comprehensive as what more experienced golfers typically use on the course, you can do much worse than this particular model and brand for a beginner set.
|Forgiving irons that deliver plenty of distance||Isn’t the most durable option in the market|
|Has a large sweet spot||Flex has room for improvement|
|Comes with a lightweight and spacious carry bag|
TaylorMade Golf Stealth Iron Set
- ECHO Damping System provides a forged iron feel with multiple contact points on the face that help absorb unwanted vibrations
- Powered by a Cap Back Design with toe wrap construction
- Intelligently positioned sweet spot delivers explosive ball speeds and enhanced forgiveness
- Delivers increased launch angle and peak height that produces long carry distances, towering ball flight, and considerable stopping power
Taylormade Stealth irons are undoubtedly specially designed for beginners and high handicappers; Every little detail on each club, from the 450 stainless steel face to the Thru-Slot Speed Pocket, screams forgiveness.
But it’s not just forgiveness that you’ll like about them. These clubs will drastically enhance your game if you’ve been struggling with ball speed and distance.
The Taylormade Stealth irons also feature the Speed Pocket, a groove bored into the perimeter of the bottom of the face for added flex, aside from the free-floating face brought about by the cap back design.
The result is exceptionally high flex and incredibly effortless ball speed. Also, the Taylormade Stealth irons flex more than other clubs on all of the areas of the face that most golfers commonly mis-hit.
|Arguably Taylormade’s best-looking game improvement iron||Amount of feel they provide is lacking|
|Provides excellent value for your money||Shorter irons on the set make it tough to chip|
|Better than SIM2 irons based on tests we did||Launches low for a game improvement iron|
Tour Edge Hot Launch E521 Iron-Wood Set
- Houdini Sole dramatically moves weight deep and promotes turf interaction reduction
- Hollow-Body design creates distance properties for increased distance coverage and ball speed
- Super Shallow Face allows for longer, higher-flying shots
- Super-light Mitsubishi Fubuki standard graphite shaft also helps generate long shots with a slight draw
If you’re after fair value that comes packed with performance, the Tour Edge Hot Launch E521 Iron-Wood Set is an excellent choice. As you may have observed, some of the irons on our list are hybrid-style golf club designs. They emphasize improved turf interaction and your overall performance on the course.
The iron-wood concept of Tour Edge provides golfers, in general, with a combination of distance and forgiveness. In addition, the golf club features a slice fighting design with a large offset. If you happen to slice the ball or need to improve on both launch and distance, the E521 is an excellent set to consider.
|Improved turf interaction from both rough and fairway||Unorthodox look requires time to get used to in the short irons|
|Makes for a great option for those that slice the ball frequently||Noticeable loss of distance in exchange for improved accuracy|
|Shallow cup face allows higher launch angles||Feel isn’t as impressive as other irons on the market|
Cobra Golf 2021 Men’s T-Rail 2.0 Combo Iron Set
- Hollow, wide-sole design and Baffler Rails provide distance and effortless launch out of every lie
- Combine the best qualities of an iron and hybrid into a single game-changing shape
- Forged Face Insert – high strength steel face designed with E9 Technology maximizes distance on off-center hits
The T-Rail hybrid-irons combine the best qualities of a hybrid and an iron in a single easy-to-hit golf club, making them excellent for high-handicappers or those looking for even more forgiveness from a one-of-a-kind set of irons.
A hollow, wide sole design combined with an iron face and topline provides the distance, forgiveness, and accuracy that many golfers seek.
The set’s hollow-body structure provides each club a hybrid-like launch, allowing the ball to rise in the air fast and quickly across the set.
For many years, Cleveland dominated the hybrid iron for golfers scene. It’s about time Cobra stepped up as a competitor. The T-Rail golf irons are an excellent choice if you want the feel of hybrids but require the accuracy and feel of an iron.
|Forged E9 Face allows you to achieve tremendous distance||Doesn’t fall into the “sexy irons” category|
|Baffler Rail Technology improves turf interaction||Unique look of each iron takes some time to get used to|
|Designed to perform as well as hybrids, with plenty of greenside spin|
Choosing the right golf irons can get overwhelming, especially if you’re still working on your game. You will be presented with a seemingly endless array of selections, but this isn’t an excuse to pick just about any iron out there.
Generally, the best irons for high-handicappers such as yourself are specifically-designed for ease of use. They sport an ergonomic design, making the irons easy and comfortable enough to handle. When you’re on the golf course, approaching a shot and landing it near the green will be much easier if you’re equipped with the right iron!
Do yourself a favor; stop looking for other irons! Consider the recommendations above, and you’ll be a better golfer in no time!