Amateur and professional golfers you know, such as Jon Rahm, Xander Schauffele, and Yuka Saso, to name a few, wield Callaway irons.
One thing that makes Callaway a world-renowned brand is its appeal to both professional golfers on tour and high-handicappers. In this article, we’re going to list some of the best Callaway irons for high-handicappers, specifically designed to help improve accuracy and distance even on shots that are far from desirable.
Let’s get started.
Top Callaway Irons for High Handicappers
Callaway Big Bertha B21 Irons
- Industry-leading A.I. Flash Face Cup allows for high ball speeds and increased spin robustness
- Club profile that’s specifically designed to give you more confidence over the ball with incredibly wider soles for easier launch, straighter flight, and lower spin
- Patented urethane microspheres absorb vibration for optimum feel while maintaining fast ball speeds
- Custom Tungsten energy core for deeper CoG that ensures excellent precision and high ball speeds
|Extra-wide sole allows you to glide through the turf more easily||Some may consider the size of the club to be too small|
|Huge sweet spot||Oversized profile may put more than a few players off|
|Straighter trajectory with high draw bias|
|Looks like a lower handicap iron in appearance|
Callaway Mavrik Irons
- Sophisticated face architecture unique to every loft helps boost spin robustness and ball speed significantly
- Custom tungsten-infused weights allow the location of the CoG in each iron for optimum launch and ball flight through the set
- Patented urethane microspheres absorb excess vibration for pure feel and excellent ball speed
|Moderate head shape|
|Tungsten energy core||Not the best option if you’re after accuracy|
|Allows you to cover great distances||Set makeup requires a bit of fine-tuning|
|Extremely forgiving, making it ideal for high handicappers|
Callaway Mavrik Max
- Custom tungsten energy core for optimal launch and ball flight through the set
- Urethane microspheres allow excellent ball speeds while maximizing coefficient of restitution (CoR) by absorbing unwanted vibration
- Flash Face Cup Technology creates a significant boost in spin robustness and ball speed off of every iron
|Significant distance gains for most players||Comes at a premium rate|
|Its entire face is a sweet spot||Long irons in the set are a bit chunky at address|
|Wider face for the long irons in the set|
Callaway Apex DCB Irons
- Has a deep cavity back and enhanced sole width designed for easy launch and solid turf interaction, making it the most forgiving iron in the Apex series
- AI-designed flash face cup promotes excellent ball speeds and spin robustness for added control and distance coverage
- Long and mid-irons have up to 50 grams of tungsten that precisely positions CoG for more forgiveness on off-center shots and outstanding launch throughout the set
- Mild carbon steel body and patented urethane microspheres provide outstanding feel and sound at impact
|Noticeable improvement in sound and feel||Set is missing an SW|
|Equipped with a forgiving cavity back||Comes at a hefty price tag|
|Most forgiving among the Apex irons||Doesn’t differ much from the standard Apex irons|
Callaway Epic Forged Irons
- Platinum chrome finish developed using precise engineering and meticulous workmanship for exceptional feel, sound, and and turf interaction at impact
- Suspended Tungsten Core allows the precise positioning of CoG, which promotes controlled launch and long distances consistently
- Exceptional 360 Face Cup utilizes a flexible rim around the perimeter of the face to help promote fast ball speeds and cover great distances on both center and off-center hits
- Epic forged irons are available in different shaft options and come with ultra-premium components
|Elegant-looking irons||Low launch can be a cause for concern, especially to slower swingers|
|Quick off the face||Premium appearance and technology come at a premium cost|
|More forgiving than most Apex irons|
|Smooth and solid upon impact|
Callaway X Hot Irons
- Deep cutaway design that helps in achieving higher ball speeds compared to other irons on the market
- Feel-Management Technology used to fine-tune acoustic properties while achieving a crisp, dynamic feel, with improved playability
- Speed Frame Face Technology, also found in Callaway drivers, which are known to produce superior distance and increased launch angles
|Lightweight and equipped with high-quality Project X golf shafts||Distinguishing between a good or a bad shot can be a challenge|
|Exceptional sound and feel||Doesn’t have the same ball speed as modern Callaway irons|
|Spined grip for easy and consistent gripping||Doesn’t offer much feedback|
|Low spin, especially the long irons|
|Comes at a relatively inexpensive price|
Which are the Top Callaway Irons for High Handicap Golfers?
Generally, Callaway irons work well for high-handicappers since they meet the performance requirements that high-handicap golfers need. Since forgiveness is a must-have, the Big Bertha B21 is a great choice, while the X Hot Irons are best for high-handicappers with slower swings.
Which Callaway Irons are Best for Beginners?
As a player who’s just starting to get his feet wet in golf, you’d want to pick a club with the best shaft for your game. It’s arguably more important than the clubhead. Also, you’d want more than a handful of forgiveness, distance, and performance from your Callaway irons. Therefore, it’s best to stay away from the pro models of the clubs.
One club that stands out from our list is the Mavrik Max. As a beginner, you’re likely to enjoy using this oversized model. It also delivers extra launch and distance as you figure out the main strengths of your game.
Which Callaway Irons are the Most Forgiving?
Callaway irons are renowned for being one of the most forgiving irons out there. But the most forgiving iron on our list is the Apex DCB. It features a large chassis for optimum stability and consistent ball speed across the face.
Another iron worth mentioning is the Big Bertha B21. It’s also remarkable for being user-friendly, with additional offset to increase the draw bias. You’ll appreciate this feature if you’re struggling with your golf slice.
Does Callaway Make Irons for Low Handicappers?
Callaway regularly puts out an entire line of clubs for players with lower handicaps. Usually, these clubs sport a thinner topline and differ in look, compared to other Callaway irons such as the Big Bertha.
Lower handicappers and scratch golfers will find the Mavrik Pro to be the best fit. They are a compact, players iron that focuses on workability and hitting exact yardages.
Undoubtedly, Callaway manufactures some of the best golf clubs in the market. At any given time, there may be at least six or seven varieties of Callaway irons you can choose from.
The best Callaway irons for high handicappers provide a wide range of benefits, including an incredible amount of feel to help improve your performance.
Once you make a purchase, you can take your new Callaway irons to a professional golf club fitter to adjust their grips and lie angles according to your swing and ability. These tweaks can dramatically improve your game, on your way to taking every golf course you play in by storm.
See related articles: